1fps after adding CSVR

I have 5 VC728PF cameras and recently installed a CSVR126. Once I added the CSVR the frame rate of all my cameras for live view on the app, website, and CSVR local view have dropped to 1fps despite me configuring the CSVR to record at 30fps. When starting a live view session the frame rate will be correct for around 2 seconds before dropping to 1fps. Even more worryingly, I have not been able to restore the original 10fps I used to get before I added the CSVR. I have tried restarting all devices and also changing the video resolution and frame rate with no success. I have even tried unpairing cameras from the CSVR and removing and re-adding them to my account.

Do you have any idea how I can at least get back to the 10fps I had before I tried adding the CSVR? Ideally I would like to have the 30fps with it.

I’ve also noticed these cameras have a hard time changing their settings. Enabling HDR or changing the resolution causes them to go offline for 10+ minutes. Disabling HDR occurs immediately but for some reason also causes the timestamp overlay on the video feed to go away until you rename the device.

After several restarts I have made some progress in restoring the pre-CSVR live view.

Now I have 3 cameras not assigned to the CSVR. Of those 3, two are working correctly. The third one I am unable to view any footage from though I am able to retrieve device status information from it.

The remaining 2 cameras are still connected to the CSVR. One of them is still exhibiting the 1fps live view issue while the other I am unable to view any footage from like the one above.

Now I have 3 cameras not assigned to the CSVR. Of those 3, two are working correctly. The third one I am unable to view any footage from though I am able to retrieve device status information from it.

So we can best assist, what is the device name for the one you are having trouble with? If it is reporting disconnected when attempting to view the feed, please try powering down that camera for 2 full minutes. Then power back up.

The remaining 2 cameras are still connected to the CSVR. One of them is still exhibiting the 1fps live view issue while the other I am unable to view any footage from like the one above.

Looks like the one labeled “South Side” is the one that is disconnected, correct?

That camera should also be power cycled, leave it powered off for 2 minutes.

Can you confirm how these devices are being powered? Are you using 12VDC or POE? How long is the cable? If POE, what is the model of injector or switch? How many devices are powered off the same switch? If there are non cameras on it as well have you tried isolating those?

If you power down the CSVR and leave it powered off, does the behavior with the cameras change? What model of router are you using?

• “Back Yard” = offline camera not currently paired with CSVR
  • “South Side” = offline camera currently paired with CSVR
  • “North Side” = online camera paired with CSVR exhibiting 1fps behavior despite being set to 30fps
  • “Front Yard” and “Back Porch” = online cameras not paired with CSVR with original 10fps intact

Yes the cameras labeled “South Side” and “Back Yard” are the two without connectivity currently. I’ve tried powering them down for two minutes and they appear to have the same status.

Both of these cameras lost connectivity after I attempted to change the resolution from 1080p to 720p.

All the cameras are powered by POE from a 24 port netgear switch (GS728TPPV2). This switch has a 380W power budget and these 5 cameras are the only POE devices connected to it. I’m not sure the exact length of the wires but given my house has 50’x50’ footprint I’d be surprised if the longest run is even 100’. The CSVR is also connected to this same switch.

I haven’t tried removing non-camera devices from the switch because I had no frame rate issues until the cameras were associated with the CSVR. Prior to this, all 5 cameras worked fine apart from their flakiness when changing settings.

My router is a Protectli FW6D running OPNsense 22.1.9. I do not currently have any VLANs or IDS/IPS running.

No, the cameras maintain that same behavior of having full frame rate for a moment and then dropping to 1fps even with the CSVR powered off. So far I have only able to restore the constant frame rate by un-associating the camera from the CSVR and resetting it.

Can you try a factory reset on one of the cameras? I would recommend trying one which is not connected currently, the “Back Yard” one.

Delete that camera, factory reset via the instructions below, then try re-linking that camera.

Does that resolve the behavior for that camera?

I removed the “Back Yard” device from my account and factory reset camera. It appears to be working at the normal 10fps now without being associated with the CSVR.

FYI, It wasn’t looking like the factory was going to work. After the status light went green again I was unable to add it to my account. It would show up in the add device page but error out with “Video device could not be added. Video device tests disconnected. Please make sure the device is powered on, connected to the internet and try again.” However, I was able to successfully add it after power cycling the camera.

I went ahead and performed the factory reset to bring the “South Side” camera back online. Similar to the “Back Yard” camera, I had to power cycle the camera after completing the factory reset before I could successfully add the device back.

So it does seem that factory resetting can restore the pre-CSVR frame rate for the live view. Now we just need to determine why associating with the CSVR in 30fps mode causes problems.

I also find it concerning that these cameras can be knocked offline to the point of needing a factory reset by simply changing settings like video resolution.

“North Side” is now offline because I tried to change the resolution to 1080p from 720p. I haven’t had a chance to go factory reset it yet but I wouldn’t worry about it at the moment.

Because I knocked “North Side” offline I went ahead and associated “Back Yard” with the CSVR so it is now exhibiting the 1fps behavior for you to investigate.

At this point I’m going to finally leave everything alone until you have a chance to look at it.

There is a new firmware release available for all of those cameras. The first thing we should do is ensure that all the devices are on the latest firmware.

Can you make sure all the cameras are connected, and can I push firmware to the cameras for you?

Alarm.com is saying there are potential optimization/firewall issues, and typically in a case like this I would strongly recommend running the camera equipment on a separate router as a test, to avoid being on the network managed by the Protectli FW6D.

Do you have a separate router you can use to isolate the cameras and CSVR?

I just factory reset the “North Side” camera. They are all online now.

The devices are on the same subnet and network switch though so my understanding is that none of the traffic would even be reaching the router for the local live view on the CSVR. I am happy to assign static IPs and manually port forward if they think that would help.

The only other router I have is an Ubiquiti ERLite-3. I would have to still use the same Netgear POE switch though. I can try swapping it out but I should note it does have the same firewall configuration as the Protectli.

The only other router I have is an Ubiquiti ERLite-3. I would have to still use the same Netgear POE switch though. I can try swapping it out but I should note it does have the same firewall configuration as the Protectli.

What I am referencing is adding a second router behind the Protectli which functions as a separate LAN for just the camera equipment.

Firewall settings you have enabled should be defaulted/disabled on that Ubiquiti if you use that to test. You do not need to make changes to the Protectli itself.

I would have to still use the same Netgear POE switch though

Yeah I would like to test that as well, but it is less likely to be the culprit. Are the ports you are using managed ports?

I’ll work on getting the Ubiquiti reset for that test but I’ll wait until you’ve had a chance to push the firmware update before I take any of the devices offline.

I am not currently using any of the management features of the switch. All the ports are effectively unmanaged.

The first two took the update. Processing on the other 3 now. Will follow up when complete

All updated

I’ve moved all 5 cameras and the CSVR to behind the Ubiquiti running factory default settings. They are now the only devices on this sub-network and switch. I am still seeing the same framerate issue with the “Back Yard” camera that is associated with the CSVR.

Can you confirm the upload speed for your internet connection? It’s almost certainly unrelated but ADC is asking because that is a common early question in troubleshooting live view interruptions.

I have symmetrical gigabit fiber with a static public IP address. Here is a link to a speedtest.net result I just ran to verify: Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Well, that would of course cover the requirement :slight_smile:

I’ll follow up with ADC. Shouldn’t be an issue with fiber. Who is the ISP?

The ISP is Comporium.