Problem With Module Connecting to Alarm.com

Hi, we have a 2gig panel with both a gobridge and a cell module. The gobridge works fine, but the cell module has never worked. Its a Verizon module and when I do a test cellular it returns the following error: Connection Error. Retrying. APN ntfrCM

Under Radio Status it says Cannot connect, PDP denied

Hmm, sounds like on this module over the air service provisioning may have never completed successfully. Typically this indicates an issue with the module itself, or an issue at the time of the original provisioning commands.

If this is the case, there are a couple steps we can try.

Was this module used when it was purchased, an existing module from a previous provider, or was it a new module?

From 2GIG and ADC, a few steps to try to complete OTASP:

1.   Initiate 3 walk tests and abort each immediately.

2.   Within 50 seconds of the first walk test initiation, send a <a href="https://youtu.be/UtZ148oADfE" target="_blank">cell phone test</a>.

3.   Wait 10+ minutes then send <a href="https://youtu.be/UtZ148oADfE" target="_blank">another cellular test</a>.

any change?

How is the broadband bridge working with an unprovisioned cell module? I thought this was not allowed by ADC?

Accounts cannot be created without a valid cellular module. In this case a valid cellular module exists, but all communication has been through the bridge so far since provisioning never completed on the module.

Thanks! That fixed it. The module was purchased with the panel new from amazon.com and had never been used before. after performing this process the first cell test failed, the second one 10 minutes later succeeded.

I had this same exact problem tonight with a new verizon module and new GC2 panel. I kept getting cell connection PDP errors. I followed the three steps mentioned by Jason and it fixed the issue. I had previously tried about 20 cell tests, unplugged, removed battery, checked antenna, removed and reinstalled the cell module but nothing worked. Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread.

OK Jason, I have the same problem with the new Verizon LTE module you sent me that I installed around 12:30.

At first I powered off/on AC and battery to reboot. No good. Ran cell tests. No good. Then I found this thread and ran the video procedure twice, waiting a full 15 minutes between cell tests. No good.

The module status shows registered, signal strength 19/31, and the module did register itself on the very first boot, even before I ran the first cell test. In addition the module status includes:

APN: ACP.W.ZET (what is that?)
Cannot connect.
PDP denied.

What do I do now?

It looks like all of the automated commands and status updates were acknowledged in sequence about 5 minutes ago.

The panel appears to be signaling well at the moment, it is responsive to all commands.

Did you make any other changes? Be sure that you have both of the new antennae connected to the module. The old 3G antenna cannot be used.

OK Jason, you’re right. I see a flood of activity starting at 2:43. I was eating lunch and talking to my wife, and changed nothing in the panel or setup since my previous post. After your reply I looked at the panel screen (which I left in the failed cell phone test to stop the damn thing from beeping) I saw a bunch of acks in a row to successful tests. So something was jammed up somewhere. So that means hardware or software (either in my panel or at ADC or in the cell path) cleared itself out. (Yes?)

FYI both antennas are outside the GC2, on opposite sides of the case. My signal is still 19/31. I issued an arm and disarm command and they both went through almost instantaneously.

We’re home so I’m going to leave the panel in test mode until sometime tomorrow, just to be sure it’s OK. Thanks for looking into it.

I saw a bunch of acks in a row to successful tests. So something was jammed up somewhere. So that means hardware or software (either in my panel or at ADC or in the cell path) cleared itself out. (Yes?)

It looks that way. I am seeing all communication go through as I would normally expect now, including sensor activity from the system. It is possible the OTASP registration itself was delayed.

Keep an eye on it but you should be good to go at this point!

Thanks Jason. So far so good.

If I may… OTASP. Over the air service provisioning? Could you tell me (in brief) what that means in the context of GC2, the cell module, and ADC?

Alternatively, give me a pointer to something to read. Didn’t find something specific to alarm panels. :nerd_face:

Yes, Over the air service provisioning. Not unique to alarm panels. Occurs during first registration of a new module. Just speculating, but all of the initial connection commands were unacknowledged until 2:43, then all started going through.

Speculation is fine. One of my best troubleshooting aids.

I looked at the interval between when I first brought the LTE module online and 2:43 when everything went through at once. Didn’t see any obvious time intervals.

I issued an Arm Stay command at 12:30 after the panel booted for the first time. I believe that command was lost; the panel never armed. But all the sensor and cell tests were obviously buffered and held somewhere, and then released all at once.

Well I’m not going to beat it to death. Just my computer and network curiosity getting the best of me. Everything is working normally now, and definitely faster than 3G for push notifications and command acks. Same as I saw at our second site.

Thanks for the info from your side of the fence, and have a nice weekend!

I issued an Arm Stay command at 12:30 after the panel booted for the first time. I believe that command was lost; the panel never armed.

Yes, app commands have a shorter time-out period of about an hour I believe. The setup commands have a longer timeout and were all acked after the first arm command timed out already.